My name is Devan (or Dennen if you’d like), I am 18 years old and I am a Lesbian with a past of self harm. I’ve always been out to both my friends and family but I know people who aren’t. I know people with parents who don’t accept them. I’d like to hopefully get and give a little support here…
I was on Deviantart when I came across this:
This caught me WAY off guard. But it gets worse…
These are all from http://i-take-it-back.deviantart.com/ and there HAS to be something we can do about it.
With those concepts together (self-harm and homophobia), let’s look at some statistics…
- Studies indicate that between 25% and 50% of homeless youth are LGBT and on the streets because of their sexual orientation or gender identity.
- Nearly 1/5 of students are physically assaulted because of their sexual orientation and over a tenth because of their gender expression.
- About two-thirds of LGBT students reported having ever been sexually harassed (e.g., sexual remarks made, being touched inappropriately) in school in the past year.
- LGBT youth who reported higher levels of family rejection during adolescence are three times more likely to use illegal drugs.
- LGBT students are twice as likely to say that they were not planning on completing high school or going on to college.
Kids who are gay are also 8.6 times more likely to attempt suicide even if they have support at HOME.
What can we do? I’m not saying you have to agree with gay marriage but throwing such hatred around will only create hatred. Just like it isn’t acceptable to post hate about someone being a man or a woman, of a different race or a different religion, we shouldn’t have to deal with people constantly telling people they’re going to Hell because of WHO THEY LOVE.
What you should know:
- You are BEAUTIFUL no matter who you are or who you love.
- SOMEONE supports you. (I SUPPORT YOU.)
- You are NOT alone.
Please Reblog! Someone Needs to see it!!!
This is my blog for drag and androgyny, if you want to follow
I know most of you are here for hot lesbians, visual kei boys and blood but I’m thinking of creating another blog for talk about Drag Kings/Queens/ My own performing stuff…
Would anyone from here follow something like that and maybe give some input when it’s set up?